Monday, July 2, 2012

Live Music


Being back home has really showed me one aspect of New York that I miss more than anything: access to new music. Pierre has 4 radio stations.

River 92.7 which plays a sickening collection of Katy Perry, Maroon 5, Train, Nickleback, Kelly Clarkson, and the novelty song of the week (aka “Call Me Maybe”)

Jack 95.3 which plays a really weird mix of basically whatever they’re feeling. I’ve heard everything from Beyonce to bad 80’s hair metal (a lot of bad 80’s hair metal)

94.5 Country which, obviously plays country hits but from a tower just far enough away that it comes in fuzzy

100.1 the Eagle which is a mix of oldies but goodies. Except for Saturday nights which is all 70’s disco crap.

Anyway, this has made me miss the huge variety of music I had the chance to not only hear, but also see live in New York.

And yes, I am aware this post is absolutely dripping with East Coast Elitism but that comes with the territory. Enjoy these 5 songs from bands I saw this year.

Something Old
“Soul Meets Body”- Death Cab for Cutie
Always a great song. And, luckily for me, I got to see Death Cab play with the Magik*Magik Orchestra which made all the songs sound about 15 times cooler than they already would have.


Something New
“Krocodile”- St. Vincent
So for those of you who don’t know, St. Vincent is fairly to mostly awesome. If you get a chance to see her live, go. She was phenomenal and finished her set with this song off her new record… while crowd surfing.


Something Borrowed
“I Don’t Want Love”- The Antlers
The same day I saw St. Vincent, I saw the Antlers and honestly, I felt a little too high from their music to take it all in. Thankfully, Lexi recommended this song and now I can remember their trippy, f-ed up show in its entirety.


Something Blue
“Lover Gone”- Peggy Sue
Don’t you love when you go to see one band and then find that the opening band is just as awesome, if not more awesome, than the band you came to see? I got lucky like that when I saw the British band Peggy Sue open for First Aid Kit. All of their music is worth checking out but this is my favorite.


Something Random
“Emmylou”- First Aid Kit
Speaking of First Aid Kit, they are my second favorite sister act featuring one or more lesbian (*cough* Tegan and Sara *cough*) and this is just an all around great song.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment