Monday, August 6, 2012

Bob Dylan


Next week’s a big week for me. I’m driving 3 hours to see Bob Dylan followed by an overnight 5 and a half hour drive to Sioux Falls followed immediately by a 5 hour drive to Iowa to see Meintsma and (more importantly, Pat Benatar).

I’m pretty stoked about these concerts so I figured today and next week’s KB Thinks Music could be focused on these two. I mean, Dylan is legendary and if you don’t sing along to every Pat Benatar song you hear there is clearly something really wrong with you. So for today’s listening pleasure I present 5 Bob Dylan songs

Something Old
“Blowin’ in the Wind”
Considering the fact that Dylan was originally known as a protest singer, it seems appropriate to include this in his “something old” category. And, let’s be honest, it’s hard to miss this song’s relevance in our culture now.


Something New
“Wedding Song”
This isn’t exactly a “new” song (considering the fact it's 30 years old) but it’s one that I’ve recently started appreciating more and more. For people that have a problem with Dylan’s voice, I recommend skipping this song because this is him at his “worst.” Speaking of new music: get pumped because Dylan is releasing a new album soon!


Something Borrowed
“Visions of Johanna”
I’ll be honest, I wasn’t originally sold on this song. I didn’t think it was one of his better songs and I didn’t think (and still don’t) that it needs to be seven and a half minutes long. However, one of my friends really like this songs and as much as it pains me to admit that she’s right… it’s a good pretty good song.


Something Blue
“It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue”
What can you say? It’s a great song. Also, it has "blue" in the title.


Something Random
“Mr. Tambourine Man”
This is one of my all time favorite songs and one of the greatest songs ever to drive to. Seriously, drop what you’re doing, hop in your car, head out of town (preferably to a prairie), and play this song. Follow it up with America’s “Ventura Highway” and Bruce Springsteen’s “Thunder Road” and you’ve got yourself a good day ahead. Also, the last verse of this song is some of the best song writing I’ve ever heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment