Monday, May 21, 2012

Grey's Anatomy Music


I’m still recovering from another DEVESTATING season finale of Grey’s Anatomy. I’ve been watching this show for years and we have a very love-hate relationship with each other. I love the show because it is awesome but I hate the show because it continually rips my heart out and stomps on it. Last week, I had to part with a beloved character who Shonda Rhimes (the heartless show-runner) NEEDLESSLY KILLED OFF. I’m pretty bitter about it. Anyway, it’s got me thinking about the awesome music moments the show has given us over the last 8 seasons. Not to mention the ridiculously attractive Patrick Dempsey.

Something Old
Tegan and Sara- “Fix You Up”
Someone called into question my love of Tegan and Sara the other day. She thought my near constant references to them in blog were sarcasm (which, knowing me, is understandable). However, I was not joking about my Tegan and Sara love and, luckily for me, Grey’s pretty much used Tegan and Sara as the house band for Season 1. In 5 of the 9 episodes in Season 1, a Tegan and Sara song was used. And it was awesome. Here's the whole song first, and then the scene it was used in (just in case you're interested)



Something New
The Naked and Famous- “Bells”
This song is from an episode a few weeks ago where, as per usual, sh!t goes down. There is no show on television that has better music than Grey’s and pretty much every week they introduce me to something new which I download… as soon as I’ve finished bawling my eyes out.


Something Borrowed
“My Funny Valentine”
This song, according to Wikipedia (so you know it must be true) is from a 1937 musical but since then, it has been covered by tons of people. My personal favorite is the Miles Davis version (because I’m oh so cultured). Anyway, on Grey’s, Richard’s wife Adele is suffering from Alzheimer’s. When she freaks out and can’t remember anything, Richard sings it to her and it is one of the saddest things I’ve ever seen. Again, here is the original followed by one of the saddest things ever.



Something Blue
Andrew Belle- “In My Veins”
I’m going to be honest; after watching the Season 6 finale of Grey’s, I wasn’t sure I could go on living. There was a shooter in the hospital and it was the scariest/most gut-wrenching thing ever. My roommate and I still almost tear up when we talk about this episode.


Something Random
Kanye West- “Steetlights”
Hey, remember when Kanye put out that album where he didn’t rap? I do and I loved this song which I first heard on an episode of Grey’s. Considering the fact that 1) Kanye is singing, not rapping and 2) I wouldn’t typically think to put a rap artist in a TV Medical drama, this definitely constitutes “Random”

Now, do yourself a favor and go watch every singe episode of Grey's ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment